Thousand Armed Guan-yin at Lashan, China
Photo Credit: Mike Byu via Flickr.
There are many types of female deities in Buddhism. The term “deity” does not refer to a worldly god, but to a Buddha or bodhisattva. Sometimes it also refers to historical figures, dakinis, yidams, and Dharma protectors in peaceful, semi-wrathful or wrathful form. Please feel free to contact us with any questions or concerns. We'd love to hear from you.
- Achi Chkyi Drolma - Dharmapala
- Dorje Yudronma - Dharmapala
- Ekajati (Ralchigma) - Dharmapala
- Ekajati - Yidam
- Kurukulla - Yidam
- Lamanteri - Dharmapala & Yidam
- Machig Labdron - Yidam & historical figure
- Mahamaya - Yidam
- Mandarava - Yidam & historical figure
- Marici - Yidam
- Mayadevi - historical figure
- Nairatmya - Yidam
- Niguma - Guru and Yidam
- Palden Lhamo (Sri Devi) - Dharmapala
- Prajnaparamita (Yum Chenmo) - Guru & Yidam
- Samantabhadri (Kuntuzangmo) - Guru & Yidam
- Sarasvati - Yidam
- Simhamukha (Sengdongma)- Yidam
- Sukkhasiddhi - Guru & Yidam
- Tara, Green (Drolma) - Yidam
- Tara, Red - Yidam
- Tara, White (Drolkar) - Yidam
- Troma Nagmo - Dharmapala
- Tseringma - Dharmapala
- Ushnisha-sitatapatra - Yidam
- Ushnisha-vijaya - Yidam
- Vajrayogini / Vajravarahi (Dorje Naljorma/ Dorje Phagmo) - Dharmapala & Yidam
- Yeshe Tsogyal (Dechen Gyalm) - Yidam, Guru & historical figure
a Yidam - an enlightened meditational deity who embodies the union of wisdom and compassion, yet is not separate from the meditator.
a Guru - usually the founder of a lineage; a fully realised being whom one identifies wholly with one's spiritual guide.
a Dharmapala - usually portrayed as an enlightened being in wrathful form, a Dharma Protector's primary function is to eliminate the spiritual obstacles hindering the practitioner.
a Historical Figure - someone who lived as a female human being on this earth and can be placed historically according to tradition.
Photo Credit: Jason Chamberlain via Flickr.
A thangka (pronounced TONG-ka) is a Tibetan painting on cloth, stored scroll-fashion when travelling. For those who wish to learn more about thangkas visit the Dharmapala Centre in Bremen, Germany English-language site.
Green Tara Thangka from Shankar Gallery